AVA System Homepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Races

3 posters

Go down

New Races Empty New Races

Post  Captain Peanut Butter Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:33 am

Because there are countless creatures in myth and legend yet to be statted out for AVA, and even more in the minds of players yet to invent them, races are the most often expanded mechanic in AVA, following abilitys; the big thing to consider when making new races is playability. You don't want a race that requires so much of players they won't want to play it, but you also want a race interesting and different enough to have its own identity.

That aside, the same rules apply as the New Abilities thread, but use the following code when posting new paths, removing * of course.

<*b>RACE NAME HERE

&*nbsp;&*nbsp;&*nbsp;RACIAL DEscriptION AND BACKSTORY HERE

<*b>STATISTICS
&*nbsp;&*nbsp;&*nbsp;<*b>Minimum Attributes: Minimum points a character must invest at the beginning of play to buy pre-selected abilities not covered by attribute adjustments. It is advisable to limit this figure as much as possible as a high minimum attribute total makes a racial package less playable at early levels.
&*nbsp;&*nbsp;&*nbsp;<*b>Attribute Adjustments:<*/b> Positive or negative modifiers to a character of this race at the beginning of play. It is advisable to use points gained from pre-selected weaknesses as positive attribute modifiers so a character can begin play with as few minimum attributes working against them as possible.
&*nbsp;&*nbsp;&*nbsp;<*b>Pre-selected Abilities: What pre-selected abilities the racial package requires. It is advisable to use points granted by preselected weaknesses to open slots for these abilities so a character can begin play with as few minimum attributes working against them as possible.
&*nbsp;&*nbsp;&*nbsp;<*b>Unique Abilities: Unique abilities, if any.

&*nbsp;&*nbsp;&*nbsp;<*b>Ability: UNIQUE ABILITY NAME (UNIQUE ABILITY TYPE)
&*nbsp;&*nbsp;&*nbsp;<*b>Description: UNIQUE ABILITY DEscriptION
&*nbsp;&*nbsp;&*nbsp;<*b>Mechanic:<*/b> UNIQUE ABILITY MECHANIC

&*nbsp;&*nbsp;&*nbsp;<*b>Pre-selected Weaknesses: Weakness: NAME; SEVERITY. DEscriptION (POINTS GAINED; HOW THE POINTS ARE SPENT).

Races Up For Discussion
Doppelganger

Races To Be Added

Captain Peanut Butter
Captain Peanut Butter
Master
Master

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2008-11-24

http://learnava.allyogame.com

Back to top Go down

New Races Empty Re: New Races

Post  Master Relish Wed May 05, 2010 1:23 am

Something that I've been toying with for a while now, so i figured it was time to bring them to light.

DOPPELGANGERS

These natural born shape-shifters have secretly worked themselves into nearly every known society almost flawlessly. Finding one in their natural form is almost never heard of, both for its rarity and for the fact that most that see it are soon silenced.

STATISTICS
   Minimum Attributes: Magic 10
   Attribute Adjustments: None
   Pre-selected Abilities: Doppelgangers must take Shapeshift, Revert, Enhance Magic, Forced Shapeshift, and Contingency (Shapeshift and Enhance Magic are automatically combined).
   Unique Abilities: None

Let me know what y'all think. hopefully I'll have some other new stuff in the near future as I'm currently working up a concept for a "companion/familiar" ability and path, as well as statistics for said "beasts".
Master Relish
Master Relish
Admin

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Mustard Mon May 10, 2010 2:08 am

Interesting.

First off, PB is gonna be upset with the name--and I must admit that it makes me nervous as well. However, German Mythology predates D&D by how many centuries? I guess they really don't have any right to complain if we name our shape shifters after a type of death omen, right? And it is well used in literary and historical sources according to Wikipedia. So it's an acceptable name.

On the other hand, I thought that we had discussed giving them a weakness or two to help out with their minimum attribute modifier? Aside from the mechanical bonus of weaknesses for races, they add thematical uniqueness to the race. Right now, how is doppleganger any different from a human with the Shapeshifter ability path?

Sorry, Relish, your Doppelgangers need some more work...either with weaknesses or negative attribute bonuses. Maybe an Honor Code (Racial Secrecy) or Energy Vulnerability? Harder to Heal (still in development)? And it doesn't have to be one of our premade weaknesses if you don't see how any of them could possibly fit. We do have imaginations after all, imaginations and a knowledge of system mechanics to boot. [grins] We'll come up with something.

I have to admit, I'm curious to see what you come up with for animals. So far, all we've seen is sentient creatures--people. There's no rules for the people's furry (feathery or scaly too) friends. They've kinda been minor players up til now who's actions were completely thematic. It would be kinda cool to see them fight along side the person who is their companion.
Miss Mustard
Miss Mustard
Adventurer
Adventurer

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down